If you’ve recently moved into a new house and found that a Ring doorbell is already installed, you may need to change the user settings and connect it to your own account.
There are several steps you can follow to set up the Ring doorbell that is already installed and make it your own.
In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the process of setting up a Ring doorbell that is already installed.
Whether you need to give access to the new owner or cancel the old owner’s payment plan, we have you covered.
By following this easy guide, you’ll be able to confidently set up your already-installed Ring doorbell and customize it to meet your specific needs. Let’s get started!
Give Access to the Ring Doorbell to the New Owner
If you’ve recently moved into a new house and discovered that a Ring doorbell is already installed, you’ll need to connect it to your account and change the user settings.
To give access to the Ring doorbell to the new owner, you have a few options.
The first is to request access from the previous owner if you can reach them.
They can transfer ownership of the doorbell to you through the Ring app.
However, if you are unable to reach the previous owner, you can manually reset the doorbell.
To reset the Ring doorbell, locate the screw set underneath the doorbell and remove it.
Press the reset button for at least 15 seconds.
This will erase all existing settings and remove them from the previous owner’s account.
After resetting, you can create your user account by downloading the Ring app and following the setup instructions.
This will give you full access to the Ring doorbell’s features and controls.
Resetting the Ring Doorbell
If you choose to reset the Ring doorbell, keep in mind that this will remove any existing settings and user data.
Once the reset is complete, you will need to set up the doorbell as if it were brand new.
This includes connecting it to your home Wi-Fi network and creating a new Ring account.
Follow the on-screen instructions in the Ring app to complete the setup process.
By giving access to the Ring doorbell to the new owner and connecting it to their account, they can fully utilize all the features and benefits of the Ring doorbell.
Whether it’s monitoring your home, receiving alerts, or communicating with visitors, setting up the Ring doorbell correctly is crucial for a seamless and secure experience.
Cancel the Payment Plan of the Old Owner
When setting up a Ring doorbell that is already installed, it’s crucial to ensure that the payment plan associated with the previous owner is canceled and updated with your billing information.
To accomplish this, follow these four simple steps:
- Login to the official Ring website using your account credentials.
- Go to the “Account” section and locate the payment details of the old owner.
- Delete the old owner’s payment information to remove any connection to their billing account.
- Enter your own credit card information to establish your own payment plan and ensure that the billing is under your name.
By canceling the old owner’s payment plan and updating the billing information, you can fully take ownership of the Ring doorbell.
Table: Steps to Cancel the Old Owner’s Payment Plan
|Login to the Ring website
|Access the “Account” section
|Delete the old owner’s payment details
|Enter your own credit card information
Delete the Device from the Old Owner’s Account
If the Ring doorbell was previously owned by someone else, it’s important to remove their device from their account to ensure that you have complete control and access.
To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open the Ring app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap on the menu icon (three horizontal lines) in the top left corner of the screen.
- Select “Devices” from the menu.
- Choose the Ring doorbell that you want to unlink from the previous owner’s account.
- Scroll down and tap on the “Remove This Device” option.
- Confirm the removal by tapping “Remove” in the pop-up window.
By following these steps, you will successfully delete the Ring doorbell from the old owner’s account, ensuring that only you have access to it.
Unlinking the Ring doorbell from the old owner’s account is crucial for your privacy and security.
By removing the device from their account, you prevent the previous owner from accessing your doorbell’s live view, recordings, and other features.
This ensures that you have full control over your Ring doorbell and can effectively monitor your home’s security.
If you encounter any difficulties unlinking the Ring doorbell from the old owner’s account, you can reach out to Ring’s support team for assistance.
They can guide you through the process and help resolve any issues that you may face.
It’s important to contact Ring directly, as they have the expertise to troubleshoot and provide the necessary solutions.
Revoking Access to the Ring Doorbell from All Other Users
If the previous owner of the Ring doorbell had given access to other users, it is important to revoke their access to ensure the security and privacy of your device.
By following these steps, you can remove shared users and unlink devices from the Ring app:
- Open the Ring app on your smartphone.
- Navigate to the “Settings” menu within the app.
- Select the “Users” option.
- Review the list of shared users and guest users.
- Remove any users who should no longer have access to your Ring doorbell.
By removing shared users, you can ensure that only you have control over the Ring doorbell’s features and settings.
This step is crucial for maintaining the security and privacy of your home and personal information.
This table provides an example of the information you may find in the “Users” section of the Ring app.
It lists the email addresses of shared users and guest users, along with their access levels.
By removing the appropriate users from this list, you can revoke their access to your Ring doorbell.
Reset the Ring Doorbell
If you want to completely start fresh with the Ring doorbell, you can perform a reset.
This is useful if you’re unable to gain access to the doorbell or if you want to erase all existing data and settings.
Resetting the Ring doorbell will restore it to its factory default state, allowing you to set it up with a new account and password.
To reset the Ring doorbell, follow these steps:
- First, remove the doorbell from the wall by loosening the screws using a screwdriver.
- Locate the reset button, usually found on the back or side of the doorbell.
- Press and hold the reset button for 20 seconds.
- After 20 seconds, release the reset button.
- The Ring doorbell will begin the reset process, as indicated by LED lights flashing.
- Once the reset process is complete, you can set up the Ring doorbell with a new account and password.
It’s important to note that resetting the Ring doorbell will erase all data and settings associated with the device.
This includes any recorded videos, customized settings, and device connections.
Make sure to back up any important data before performing a reset.
Resetting the Ring Doorbell: Troubleshooting Tips
If you encounter any issues during the reset process, here are a few troubleshooting tips:
- Ensure that the Ring doorbell is properly disconnected from any power source before attempting to reset it.
- Check that the reset button is accessible and not obstructed by any debris or physical damage.
- If the LED lights do not flash after holding the reset button for 20 seconds, try repeating the process using a different power source or contacting Ring’s support team for further assistance.
By following these steps, you can successfully reset the Ring doorbell and start fresh with a new account and settings.
Charge the Ring Doorbell’s Battery
Before setting up your already-installed Ring doorbell, it is important to ensure that the battery is fully charged.
A fully charged battery will ensure that your doorbell is ready to use and will provide optimal performance.
Here is how you can charge the battery:
- Locate the charging port on the back of the Ring doorbell.
- Connect one end of the provided charging cable to the charging port.
- Connect the other end of the charging cable to a USB port or a power adapter.
- Leave the Ring doorbell connected to the power source for approximately four to six hours, or until the battery is fully charged.
During the charging process, you will notice an LED light on the doorbell that indicates the battery’s charging status.
A solid blue light means the battery is charging, while a solid green light indicates that the battery is fully charged.
Once the battery is fully charged, you can proceed with the setup process of your Ring doorbell.
Set Up a Ring Doorbell (1st gen)
If you have a 1st generation Ring doorbell, setting it up is a straightforward process.
Follow these six steps to get started:
- Download the Ring app on your smartphone from the App Store or Google Play Store. Make sure to search for “Ring – Always Home” to find the correct app.
- Create a new account if you don’t already have one, or log in with your existing Ring account credentials.
- In the app, tap on the “Set Up a Device” option and select “Doorbell.”
- Choose your Ring doorbell model from the list, which should be the 1st generation.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to provide your location details, name your device, and connect it to your home Wi-Fi network. Make sure you have the Wi-Fi password handy.
- Once your Ring doorbell is connected to the app and your Wi-Fi network, you can test it by pressing the orange button on the back of the doorbell. This will initiate the setup process and ensure that the doorbell is working properly.
Congratulations! You have successfully set up your 1st generation Ring doorbell and linked it to your Ring app on your smartphone.
Now you can enjoy the convenience and security that the Ring doorbell provides.
|Download the Ring app from the App Store or Google Play Store.
|Create a new account or log in with your existing Ring account credentials.
|Tap on “Set Up a Device” and select “Doorbell.”
|Choose your Ring doorbell model (1st generation) from the list.
|Follow the onscreen instructions to provide location details, name your device, and connect to your Wi-Fi network.
|Press the orange button on the back of the doorbell to initiate the setup process and test the doorbell.
By following these steps, you can easily set up your 1st generation Ring doorbell and start enjoying the added security and convenience it brings to your home.
If you encounter any difficulties during the setup process, you can refer to the Ring support website or contact their customer support for assistance.
Set Up a Ring Doorbell (2nd gen)
If you have a 2nd generation Ring doorbell, the setup process is similar to the 1st generation with the addition of charging and inserting the removable battery.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
- Charge the removable battery: Before you begin setting up your Ring doorbell, ensure that the removable battery is fully charged. Use the provided charging cable to connect the battery to a USB port and let it charge for approximately four to six hours.
- Insert the battery: Once the battery is fully charged, insert it into the Ring doorbell. Open the battery compartment at the back of the doorbell and carefully slide the battery into place. Make sure it is securely inserted before proceeding.
- Device setup: Download the Ring app on your smartphone and create an account or log in if you already have one. Follow the onscreen instructions to set up a new device. Provide your location details, name your device, and press the orange button on the back of the doorbell to initiate the setup process.
- Connect to your home Wi-Fi network: Once the setup process prompts you to connect to a Wi-Fi network, select your home network from the list and enter the password when prompted. Make sure you have a stable internet connection before proceeding.
- Test the device: After successfully connecting to your Wi-Fi network, the Ring doorbell will complete the setup process. Test the device by pressing the doorbell button and checking if you receive live video and audio feed on your smartphone through the Ring app.
With these simple steps, you can set up your 2nd generation Ring doorbell and start enjoying its features and functionalities.
|Charge the removable battery
|Insert the battery into the doorbell
|Download the Ring app and create an account
|Follow onscreen instructions to set up the device
|Connect the doorbell to your home Wi-Fi network
|Test the device to ensure proper functionality
Set Up Ring App Preferences
After setting up your Ring doorbell, you can customize the settings in the Ring app to suit your preferences and optimize its functionality.
The Ring app offers several options for customization, including recording intervals, snapshots, and motion-based alerts.
One of the key features of the Ring doorbell is its ability to record and store video footage.
In the Ring app, you can adjust the recording intervals to determine how often the doorbell captures video.
Shorter intervals may provide more detailed coverage but may also consume more storage space.
Longer intervals, on the other hand, may conserve storage but might result in missed events.
Find a balance that works best for your needs by experimenting with different recording interval settings.
In addition to video recordings, the Ring doorbell can also capture snapshots of activity.
These snapshots can provide you with quick visual references to events without needing to watch the entire video clip.
In the Ring app, you can enable or disable the snapshot feature and adjust how often the doorbell takes snapshots.
This can be particularly useful if you want to quickly review recent activity without having to watch lengthy video recordings.
The Ring app allows you to receive alerts whenever motion is detected near your doorbell.
These alerts can be customized to your liking.
You can choose to receive alerts for all motion events or only for specific areas by setting up motion zones.
This feature helps reduce unnecessary notifications and allows you to focus on the areas that matter most to you.
Fine-tune your motion-based alerts to ensure you’re only notified when it’s necessary.
By personalizing these settings in the Ring app, you can optimize the functionality of your Ring doorbell and tailor it to your unique needs and preferences.
Connect Ring Doorbell to Smart Home Devices
If you’re looking to enhance the functionality of your Ring doorbell and create a seamless smart home experience, you can easily connect it to various smart home devices.
By integrating your Ring doorbell with smart locks, smart lighting, and smart home hubs, you can enjoy added convenience, security, and control over your home.
Let’s explore how you can connect your Ring doorbell to these devices.
Connect Ring Doorbell to Smart Locks
By connecting your Ring doorbell to smart locks, you can simplify the process of granting access to your home.
With this integration, you can remotely lock and unlock your doors, receive alerts when someone is at the door, and even grant access to trusted individuals, such as family members or service providers.
Whether you’re at home or away, you can have peace of mind knowing that you have full control over who enters your property.
Connect Ring Doorbell to Smart Lighting
Integrating your Ring doorbell with smart lighting allows you to enhance the security and convenience of your home.
With this connection, you can create automated lighting routines that turn on the lights when motion is detected by your Ring doorbell.
This not only deters potential intruders but also provides better visibility when someone approaches your door.
Additionally, you can control your smart lights remotely through the Ring app, ensuring that your home is well-lit and welcoming.
Connect Ring Doorbell to Smart Home Hubs
If you have a smart home hub, such as Amazon Echo or Google Home, you can easily integrate your Ring doorbell into your existing smart home ecosystem.
This integration allows you to control your Ring doorbell and other connected devices through voice commands.
For example, you can ask your smart home hub to show you the live feed from your Ring doorbell on your smart TV or lock your doors using just your voice.
With this seamless integration, you can truly enjoy the benefits of a fully automated and connected home.
When connecting your Ring doorbell to smart home devices, make sure that the devices are compatible and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturers.
With these integrations, you can elevate the security and convenience of your home, offering you peace of mind and a more streamlined living experience.
In conclusion, setting up a Ring doorbell that is already installed may require some troubleshooting and coordination with the previous owner.
However, if you are unable to reach the previous owner, there are alternative steps you can take.
Firstly, you can try resetting the device manually by removing the screw set underneath the doorbell and pressing the reset button.
This will allow you to create a new user account and password, giving you full control over the doorbell.
If you encounter any difficulties during the setup process, don’t hesitate to reach out to Ring’s support team for assistance.
They can provide troubleshooting tips and guidance to ensure a smooth setup experience.
By following these setup tips and customizing the settings in the Ring app, you can successfully set up and personalize the already-installed Ring doorbell for your use, enhancing the security of your home in the process.